RE : Re: Optimizing OA Self-Archiving Mandates

From: (wrong string) édon Jean-Claude <jean.claude.guedon_at_UMONTREAL.CA>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 04:44:57 -0500

Mr Szczepanski appears a little traumatized by by the collectivist practices of a recent past and I cannot blame him for that. However, traumatized or not, he should not build comparisons that simply do not work.

Having rights by law and choosing to relinquish some of them (through Creative Commons licenses for example) is one thing. It is a way in which one may choose to use the full force of the law or not. That is why I used the field metaphor.

Mandating research papers to be in depository is a different issue. In particular, the mandate aims at the author, not the owner of the article. One must remember that in most cases, to publish, scientific authors have to relinquish their rights to a publisher (without pay, it might be added).

In the case of the author, the "walking through the field" metaphor means allowing people to read the paper, and to cite and quote from it at will. It is a non-rivalrous activity. In fact, the more people read my paper, the greater value it takes. To pursue the field metaphor to absurd levels, it would mean that the more I allow people through my field, the greater my crop becomes.

So, the author wants to be read. He/she wants people to walk through the field attached to their name.

Alas, the author does not own his/her text any longer; the publisher does.

The irony of the situation is that authors are mandated to deposit their articles (although they are no longer theirs, except through attribu1tion) because they simply have not yet grasped how profitable it is for them to do so - a point repeatedly made by Stevan Harnad when he explains the OA citation advantage. Publishers are far less sanguine about mandates and express fears about their present business models. To go back to the field metaphor, as owners of the field - the author is no more than a named gardener - publishers, not authors are worried about their rivalrous kind of crop. This is the fundamental point, the publisher's crop is not the same as the author's. The author seeks visibility and exposure; the publisher seeks revenues. The symbolic essence of the author's capital makes it non-rivalrous and works on the basis of unlimited supply - as many people can read an article as many times as they wish without depleting the article. The business model of the publishers is a standard economic model
 based on taking advantage of scarcity. Subscriptions create scarcity (with bad consequences for the research enterprise as a whole). Fundamentally, publishers' desires and authors' desires are at odds.

The Romeo/Sherpa list of publishers that allow self-archiving is quite instructive in this regard. If we accept the often-mentioned number of titles of 22-24,000 title (which, incidentally, I do not, but that is another issue which I will not raise further here), one must note that the Romeo/Sherpa lists contains fewer than ten thousand titles (the last time I checked because, today, I could no longer find this kind of figure in the Romeo/Sherpa site and have just written to them). This means that more than half of the titles have not been included in the list and we cannot presume that they allow self-archiving. This means that a majority of titles of journals do not accept self-archiving. Furthermore, the policies in favour of self-archiving vary from one publisher to another, making the scene complex and confusing to the average researcher. This tends to decrease self-archiving by authors by increasing fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD).

Coming back to the mandate, this issue allows at least two things: it overcomes author's inertia fed by FUD and it begins to educate them about the realities of scientific publishing and about their own self-interest (being as widely read as possible). Note that the author does not lose anything by the mandate since he/she has already given all to the publisher but attribution. Through self-archiving, the author recovers some measure of control over access to his/her own work. Through mandating, the author is vigorously led to taking care of his/her own self-interest. We do mandate older drivers to have their eyes checked for their own self-interest (and the common good). Nothing wrong with this, I believe, and a comparison of such forms of "coercion" with the Robespierre or Stalin displays a very bad understanding of how one should use history (and I speak as a trained historian here).

Best,

Jean-Claude Guédon