Re: European Research Council Mandate Green OA Self-Archiving

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:05:22 +0000

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Sandy Thatcher wrote:

> One would think, then, that the language of the ERC statement could have
> been
> more precise: "peer-reviewed publications" is a general term that normally
> would be thought, in an academic context, to include all types of
> publications.

Yes, all Green OA self-archiving mandates should specify that they
apply to articles published in peer-reviewed journals and peer-reviewed
congress proceedings, to be clear that they do not apply to books. But
academics know this. Books are vetted for publishability, but they are
not peer-reviewed. In an academic CV, one does not list one's books under
"peer-reviewed publications."

Stevan Harnad