Re: Required and Desirable metadata in a repository

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:07:28 -0500

Bill Hubbard is spot-on on the utility of am explicitly searchable
field indicating whether or not an item has been peer reviewed. The
EPrints software has such a tag.

(It is only likely to be useful at a harvester level, as individual
repositories (IR) are only likely to be searched for
institution-internal purposes. So this is a metadatum worth displaying
for harvesters, and harvesters should set up in such a way as to make
it possible to search on only the peer-reviewed items, if the user
wishes.)

I am not certain, however, about the usefulness or urgency of a
"copyright" tag at this time, for either author or user: This might
possibly be useful institution-internally (e.g., for IP vigilantes --
though one wonders whether they would trust an author's
self-assessment!) but I doubt they would be useful at the webwide user
level.

Individual users certainly don't need to see or know the copyright
information, in order to view the item on-screen, download it, print it
off, and store it locally. (Users certainly don't worry about that in
accessing the billions (trillions?) of other kinds of items that are
web-readable!)

It would only be relevant if the individual user wished to re-post or
republish the journal article -- and I'd be inclined to treat that rare
and non-fundamental usage-need as a special case, one not requiring a
universal tag to facilitate it at this time -- especially because as OA
content will grow, the copyright picture will change, and these extra
re-use rights will eventually become part of the default conditions for
OA content.

I'd be inclined to say the same about the utility of an explicit
copyright status tag for the sake of harvesters who wish to put the
article in a database or to data-mine it: Again, harvesters like Google
do this already, without further ado, for the billions (trillions) of
items on the web already. It is hard to imagine that the minuscule
portion of all that web content that OA content represents (c. 2.5
million articles per year) warrants or necessitates explicit copyright
tagging at this time.

Stevan Harnad