Re: Required and Desirable metadata in a repository

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 16:18:46 +0000

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Leslie Carr wrote:

> The trouble with a peer-reviewed flag is that it is not the guarantor of
> research quality that many might expect it to be.

It need not be. It need merely be a way of restricting search to
peer-reviewed papers. Then, once peer-reviewed papers only are
retrieved, there can be individual selectivity within the hits on the
usual basis (journal, author, institution, relevance).

We always knew there was quality hierarchy among journals, in terms of
peer review rigour, with the bottom rung being virtually an unrefereed
vanity press. "Peer-reviewed" conferences proceedings vary in rigour too.

Once all the OA target content is actually up there and OA, it will be
easy to set up search criteria that filter out what we don't want to
bother looking at in a finer-grained way than "refereed" vs.
"unrefereed." But now, with only about 15% of OA's target content up
there, surely the overwhelming priority is getting the rest of the 85%
up there, rather than fine-tuning our search powers over the pathetic
subset that we can as yet access!

(To put it another way: The trouble with searching OA space today is not
the presence of some low-grade refereed content, but the absence of most
refereed content.)

Ceterum censeo: Universal OA self-archiving mandates from university and
funders can and will remedy this quickly -- as quickly as we can get the
mandates universally adopted...

Stevan Harnad
AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/American-Scientist-Open-Access-Forum.h
tml
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/

UNIVERSITIES and RESEARCH FUNDERS:
If you have adopted or plan to adopt a policy of providing Open Access
to your own research article output, please describe your policy at:
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
    BOAI-1 ("Green"): Publish your article in a suitable toll-access journal
    http://romeo.eprints.org/
OR
    BOAI-2 ("Gold"): Publish your article in an open-access journal if/when
    a suitable one exists.
    http://www.doaj.org/
AND
    in BOTH cases self-archive a supplementary version of your article
    in your own institutional repository.
    http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://archives.eprints.org/