Re: local/distributed vs global/unified archives

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:34:33 +0000

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Sandy Thatcher wrote:

> Presumably, universities that set up their own IRs think they are going to
> gain some kind of additional prestige or score additional credit with the
> public by posting their faculty's work as soon as it is written, or at
> least
> as soon as it is peer reviewed. But consider what it is that is actually
> being posted: work that has not been copyedited.

The purpose of OA self-archiving is not to showcase non-copy-edited work;
it is to make peer-reviewed research accessible to all of its potential
users, webwide, instead of just to those whose institutions can afford to
subscribe to the journal in which it was published, as in the paper era.

Ask the countless researchers who cannot access articles they seek
whether they would rather have a peer-reviewed but un-copy-edited copy
or no copy at all.

And ask authors whether they would rather deny their access-denied
potential users online access to their peer-reviewed research (and lose
their usage and impact), as in the paper era, in order to protect them
from having to use an un-copy-edited copy.

The answers to these questions are quite transparent to anyone who
does not have a vested interest in something other than research usage
and progress. I regret to say that although peer-reviewed journal
publishing has a long tradition of performing an essential service to
research in the paper era, it appears to have entirely lost its bearings
in the online era, getting research and researchers' priorities so
topsy-turvy as to sound almost absurd. Profoundly out of touch with
reality is perhaps a more charitable and accurate a descriptor.

Sandy's specialty, however, is books, not give-away research articles,
and there all OA bets are off for the time being.

Stevan Harnad

PS Journal article copy-editing is not worth paying for
twice. Universities will pay for it directly only if and when they
are no longer paying for it through journal subscriptions that already
cover its costs many times over (i.e., if and when journals downsize
to becoming just online peer-review [+ copy-editing] service-providers,
on the Gold OA cost-recovery model).