Re: Increased citation of OA

From: Barry Mahon <barry.mahon_at_IOL.IE>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:46:01 +0100

    [ The following text is in the "iso-8859-15" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:23:24 +0100, Iain Craig <iain.craig_at_OXON.BLACKWELLPUBLISHING.COM> wrote:

> There is a review article recently published (2007) in Journal of
> Informetrics which covers this ground, "Do open access articles have
> greater citation impact? A critical review of the literature".
>
> See: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joi.2007.04.001 or for an alternate
> location, see http://www.publishingresearch.net/Citations.htm.

I am already ducking under my desk.......

This is an interesting article, I won't pretend my mathematics extends to the postulate system (or is it my philosophical training that is lacking?) but it does seem to show that OA and (increased) citation count don't quite gel......

I have to say that I have always been sceptical about citation counting. Many years ago my wife pointed out to me that in her research days everybody had to cite Burston & Yallow's seminal article on protein analysis in every article written by their group. I wonder what that sort of thing does for the counts?? I do seem to recall that Eugene Garfield has warned against over-dependence.....

Bye, Barry