Open Repositories 2008 Video and Links

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 14:00:01 -0400

Here is the link to a video sampler of OR-08

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/podcasts/video.php?id=125

And here is the link to the EurOpenScholar session, at which there
were two brilliant, timely (and, I predict, historic landmark)
presentations. One was by (1) Professor Bernard Rentier, Founder and
Director of EurOpenScholar and Rector of University of Liege, the
first University to adopt the ID/OA self-archiving mandate, the
implementation details of which Prof. Rentier described. And the
second was by (2) Dr. John Smith, Deputy Secretary-General of the
European University Association (EUA), representing nearly 800
universities in 46 countries; EUA has unanimously recommended
mandating OA self-archiving and is providing very strong and welcome
support for implementing OA in Europe.

http://or08.ecs.soton.ac.uk/euro.html

At the EurOpenScholar session the University of Southampton university-
wide OA self-archiving mandate was also officially announced on behalf
of the Vice Chancellor by the Library Director, Mark Brown. Alma Swan
also gave a presentation -- handicapped by the fact that Prof. Rentier
and Dr. Smith had already made brilliant use of her material! I too
gave a talk, and likewise had nothing more I could add! The OA
momentum in Europe is indescribably gratifying.

Stevan Harnad