Re: some thoughts on a brave new world (fwd)

From: Talat Chaudhri [tac] <tac_at_ABER.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 17:25:44 +0100

How am I to follow this logic?! Stevan, you yourself indicate your belief that Green OA will lead to the "downsizing" of publishing operations to providing merely peer review. This indicates loss of business revenue for them.

Following conversations with academics who in fact themselves provide these services for journals together with the publishers, I have reason to suggest that some of the costs are in fact covered by universities (although this may vary according to the case) rather than publishers. So we may be talking mostly about copy editing and dissemination costs, which you do not appear to distinguish adequately from the costs of peer review. Repositories also disseminate, of course, so in future they could be in direct competition in that particular function, which is the moot point.

Currently Green OA does not undermine large academic publishers such as Springer or Elsevier to the point where it competes with them: I gather this from the very fact that they do not currently object to it - though other publishers clearly do object. But the downsizing argument that you give implicitly accepts that this will indeed happen. Neither Springer not Elsevier want to lose revenue income from journals. At this point, it seems hard indeed to see how many more publishers losing their business will not at some point come into conflict with open access in a way that only some of them do at present, foreseeing the "downsizing" (= loss of business) you describe. It is no defence to say that publishers are required for peer review, when this evidently isn't where they make their profits. If they make no profit, they close. (Then somebody else would self-evidently need to provide peer review instead for academia to continue.)

At what point comes the tipping point when publishers, losing their business because of more university mandates, might start to consider class actions against university mandates as their only course of action? Such mandates could well be seen to undermine the commercial interests in copyright that the publishers hold, if subscriptions are cancelled and yet the publisher is still expected to copy edit the articles and provide (partial?) administration for peer review. We would be over a barrel because we currently hold so much OA material on licence from these very same publishers. Perhaps that is indeed their tactic, to develop a lever that they can use against us later to assure revenue levels in some way.

My view is that publishers and universities alike need to find different funding models now, ahead of time, in order to see off the potential for conflict that I hypothesise above. Clearly, this conflict is very much avoidable, and it is in everybody's interests to avoid it, both publishers and universities, within a sensible agreed framework. At present we simply hope that mandates will help us win the battle, forgetting the consequences until they are upon us.

Finally, the type of consortia that you think unlikely have already been tried and were successful, albeit on a smaller scale as a subset of publishing. I mention the Board of Celtic Studies as a concrete example that still exists successfully in my (albeit very small) field. There is no reason to suggest that it could not switch its currently print journals to Green OA or that other consortia could not work. Many such boards already exist without journals.

I am fully anticipating being shot down for spreading alarming hypothetical problems, but I feel to fail to imagine that such things might happen where commercial interests are concerned would be foolishly burying one's head in the sand. I would instead hope to hear direct answers to the points raised, as well as a reasoned argument against "consortia" journals rather than merely waving them aside as a foolish repository manager's fancy. If we suggest them and people see them work, I assert that they could indeed be adopted as a future solution. E-journals were once a mere idea, after all, which are now successful. It's entirely possible for my proposal or some other to be a future successful solution.

Talat