Re: OA Primer for the Perplexed

From: Talat Chaudhri [tac] <tac_at_ABER.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 10:17:28 +0100

All,

The argument made by Stevan Harnad in the post below is marred by the
repeated assertion that "all authors want OA1" (his term, i.e. what
we have hitherto been asked to call Green OA self-archiving). The
experience of a repository manager quickly shows that many academics
do not want it, largely because they are afraid of what it may entail
and very badly informed about the benefits to themselves and to their
disciplines. In fact, when it is asserted that "all authors" want
Green OA, in fact all that seems to be true is that all respondents
to the studies cited in fact want it. I have encountered whole
departments that contained maybe only one member of staff who was
favourable towards OA and otherwise showed ignorance of the issues.
This is not their fault but ours for failing to accompany efforts
towards mandates with the appropriate grass-roots advocacy. These
mandates are necessary, I agree (as stated in the past).

I wonder if Stevan can substantiate the comment that "all authors
want OA1" that I see repeated here, and reconcile that opinion to the
statement that I have made about my own practical experience as a
repository manager that it isn't in fact the case across all
disciplines. I find it impossible to believe that my university is so
exceptional! I might add that these are largely arts departments, at
whom OA advocacy has never been primarily targeted. Quite rightly,
they feel that they have been treated as an add-on to the needs of
science disciplines in evolving new forms of academic publishing.
This has been directly stated in print by a member of our English
department (their English Association newsletter) - sadly and
ironically I don't think an online version exists for me to give you
the link. It makes a rather interesting, albeit local, case study.
But perhaps Stevan will argue that this is just one unrepresentative
case. If so, the lady doth protest too much.

I'm sorry, by no means would I mean to wreck the party. Nonetheless,
my above point entirely vitiates the article. In simple terms that I
feel can be useful to those actually engaged in advancing Green OA, I
feel that both parties in this argument correctly support different
forms of OA, that advancing the cause of one in no way need undermine
the other (these fears are a phantom and a paranoia in my view) and
that very little of the debate below is of practical use in putting
OA into practice. In fact, it took me a long time to read and digest
while I could have been engaging in targeted advocacy aimed at
departments and management in achieving both voluntary archiving in
the meantime and mandates as soon as possible. If a post contains
misinformation, as I submit above, how are we repository managers to
make sense of the argument and make any use of it? I am certainly
perplexed, as primed by Stevan's most recent post.

Best regards,

Talat

-----

Dr Talat Chaudhri, Ymgynghorydd Cadwrfa / Repository Advisor

Tîm Cynorthwywyr Pwnc ac E-Lyfrgell / Subject Support and E-Library
Team
Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth / Information Services
Prifysgol Aberystwyth / Aberystwyth University
Llyfrgell Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion. SY23
3DZ

E-bost / E-mail: tac_at_aber.ac.uk

Ffôn / Tel (Hugh Owen): (62)2396

Ffôn / Tel (Llandinam): (62)8724

Ffacs / Fax: (01970) (62)2404

CADAIR: http://cadair.aber.ac.uk

Cadwrfa ymchwil ar-lein Prifysgol Aberystwyth

Aberystwyth University's online research repository

Ymholiadau / Enquiries: cadair_at_aber.ac.uk