Re: Royalty-Seeking on Impact-Seeking Give-Away Content?

From: Armbruster, Chris <Chris.Armbruster_at_EUI.EU>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:18:45 +0100

I have a few ideas about this, based on experience in social science departments at UK universities:
- Some years ago ACLS was able to insert itself into the routine and large-scale copying that goes on in higher education teaching;
- The amounts of text being photocopied are likely to be significant in subjects were students' readers and/or course work based on scholarship is significant (i.e. mostly SSH subjects);
- Scholars with an outstanding reputation did informally report that income derived from ACLS was not pennies but pounds and quite a lot of those;
- In operation here would be a) the Matthews effect (of the Mertonian variety - the more famous/citations, the more photocopies, the more royalties, the more citations etc.); and b) the short head (of the Internet variety - it is only the case for a few percent, maybe the top 5% of authors or less).

Top authors in SSH can probably be persuaded to make their papers free available on the Internet (viz. RePEc or SSRN), but it is also the case that may SSH subjects are notoriously underfunded and salaries aren't great, therefore the ACLS scheme might be seen as promising some form of compensation...

The issue might be worth addressing in advocacy materials.

Chris Armbruster