Re: Elsevier Again Confirms Its Position on the Side of the Green OA Angels

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:08:50 -0800

Stevan-
I will proudly claim the mantle of an OA extremist if it means
calling bulls**t on Elsevier's policy. I am very happy to see Karen
Hunter's message, because it confirms what I and many others have
been saying for years - that Elsevier only supports Green OA
publishing because they know it will be adopted by a small fraction
of their authors. What more evidence do you need that Elsevier is not
actually committed to OA than this explicit statement that they
prohibit the clearest and easiest path towards achieving Green OA to
their published articles? Why should Elsevier care whether authors
download the articles themselves or if someone else does it for them
other than the expectation that in the former case, the practical
obstacles will prevent most authors from doing so. Unless and until
Elsevier radically restructures its business model for scientific
publishing, they will only permit Green OA so long as it is largely
unsuccessful - the moment it becomes possible to get most Elsevier
articles in IRs they will have to end this practice, as their current
policy against IR downloads makes abundantly clear.

Happy Thanksgiving.

-Michael "The Extremist" Eisen