Re: Universities with PhD Mandates

From: sely maria de souza costa <selmar_at_UNB.BR>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:27:55 -0200

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Hi,

In Brazil we do have this sort of approach. Capes, which is an organization
from the Ministry of Education for the national Post-Graduate policy, has a
mandate for every Master dissertation and Doctorate thesis to be deposited
in the Brazilian Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations and on the
student's university repository.

In my own university, if the student does not make the deposit, her/his
certificate is not issued. There are reactions, of course, but mandates have
worked well and now we have thousands of theses and dissertations available
online on the Internet.

It is important to notice that the Master course in Brasil is a sort of a
mini-doctorate, involving a resonable research work and lasting for two
years.

Regards,

Sely