Fwd: Universities with PhD Mandates

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:30:57 -0500

           ** cross-posted **

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:47 PM, James Tuttle
<james_tuttle_at_ncsu.edu> wrote:

> SH: Bravo! [For NCSU's Doctoral Thesis Mandate]

> (Now all NCSU need do to optimize their admirable
      policy for

> theses is to apply it also to all NCSU research article
      output -- and to

      <http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/274-guid.html>
      "

      <http://roar.eprints.org/index.php?action=search&query=NCSU&submit=Search>
      !

      <https://secure.ecs.soton.ac.uk/notices/publicnotices.php?notice=902>
> invented it, but Eloy Rodrigues kindly created one for
      DSpace
> <http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php//RequestCopy> too.
>
> Stevan Harnad

      Hi Steve,

      Thanks for your support.  I'm not sure, however, that I
      fully understand
      your response.  We do collect citations and, when
      available, full-text
      of university scholarly output in a Scholarly
      Publications Repository at
      http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/repository/scholpubs/search.php
       It's true that
      there is no university requirement to submit publications
      to the
      repository.  I expect that isn't a political issue that
      would get much
      traction at the university level.

Hi James,

What I meant was that NCSU's thesis deposit requirement should be
extended to cover NCSU's refereed research article output too. Such a
requirement has already managed to get good traction at at least 28
universities worldwide, including Southampton, Glasgow, Liege,
Zurich, Harvard, and Stanford, plus 30 funding agencies, including
NIH. So I can't see any reason it can't do the same at NCSU!

And here's the best and fastest default deposit policy to agree on:
IDOA, plus how and why to optimize university OA mandates, and how to
integrate them with funder deposit mandates.

      Thanks for the link regarding the "Email Eprint Request"
      button.  I
      wonder, though, have you any statistics regarding the use
      of the button?
      At NCSU, theses and dissertations are submitted at the
      completion of a
      degree program.  The email addresses contained in our
      database are
      mostly university addresses connected to university
      computing accounts
      that terminate shortly after the student leaves the
      university.  Does
      your organization provide some service or facility for
      managing email
      addresses?  This solution seems much better suited to
      scholarly works
      that are not ETDs.  All non-ETD publications are not
      provided an embargo
      option.

You are quite right that the Email Eprint Request button is best
suited (and was designed for) refereed research output by university
faculty, rather than transient doctoral students. (Statistics will no
doubt be gathered, but it is still early days for mandates, so we
need to wait till the sample size becomes big enough to be
informative.)

But, yes, the EPrints software definitely (and the DSpace software
probably) has the wherewithal to manage the email addresses of the
depositing authors in order to ensure that the eprint requests get
automatically emailed to the depositing author.

      Also, thank you for pointing out that we are not
      registered OA
      providers.  As we migrate our existing repositories in
      the coming months
      and undertake the design process to create a replacement
      for ETD-DB,
      I'll be sure to keep that objective in mind.

If you are migrating, you have another chance at picking the optimal
(free) software for creating NCSU's Institutional Repository. I
strongly recommend adopting EPrints 3 . It is the simplest, easiest
and cheapest to install and maintain, yet the most powerful of them
all, and constantly being upgraded to keep up with the evolving
functional developments and demands of Open Access. (Full Disclosure:
I commissioned EPrints, the first of the OAI-compliant OA IR-creating
free softwares, in 2000 , and I am still involved in keeping EPrints
in phase with evolving OA developments.)

Stevan Harnad
Chaire de recherche du Canada Professor of Cognitive Science
Institut des sciences cognitives         Electronics & Computer
Science
Universite du Quebec a Montreal University of Southampton
Montreal, Quebec         Highfield, Southampton
Canada  H3C 3P8 SO17 1BJ United Kingdom
http://www.crsc.uqam.ca/         http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/