Re: Green Angels and OA Extremists

From: C.J.Smith <C.J.Smith_at_OPEN.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 12:15:30 -0000

On 02 December 2008 18:31 Jean-Claude Guédon wrote:

"Commercial presses will do all they can to keep self-archiving at
some artisanal, confusing level while lobbying like mad wherever they
can (this means governmental agencies such as NIH and other similar
agencies). The artisanal dimension I am talking about refers to
constraints such as preventing the use of the publisher's pdf."

Why does it matter that, on the whole, publishers restrict the use of
the final PDF? I would argue that the most value a publisher adds is
during the peer review process, not in the post-acceptance production
processes (copyediting, typesetting and proofreading) and therefore
we should be grateful that the peer-reviewed (value-added) version is
available for self-archiving. Ok, so the final version looks nicer,
but the technical content is there - surely this is the most
important thing?

(Copyediting is a dying trade, with many of the large commercial
publishers outsourcing this to companies operating from non-native
English-speaking countries that can offer cheap prices for a `full
supplier service'. A lot of the pride that used to exist in making
the final version of a paper consistent and accurate has been lost in
recent years as publishers seek to drive down costs. For example, it
always used to be the case that the proof of a paper would be sent to
both the author and an independent freelance proofreader for
checking, with the corrections collated before publication. Many
publishers no longer use freelance proofreaders, putting the onus
entirely on the author to proofread their paper. This is all very
well if the author is a native English speaker; but if not, and the
paper has been copyedited by a non-native English-speaker beforehand,
what you end up with is a final version of a paper that has had very
little value added to it over and above the final accepted manuscript
version).

Jean-Claude's point was that having to explain to authors they can
only deposit a particular version of their paper is a constraint,
imposed the policies of publishers, aimed at slowing down the
development of Green OA. Whether or not this is true, there is, in my
opinion, a simple solution that goes a long way towards removing this
constraint:

When advocating your repository to your academics, your message
should simply be `always provide your final accepted peer-reviewed
manuscript'. If it then transpires that it is one of those rare
occasions when the published version can be used, library staff can
replace it; if an embargo is needed, library staff can add it; if the
full text can't be used at all, library staff can discard it, or lock
it. I don't believe this message is difficult to understand. Ok, you
could argue that having to deliver this message in the first place is
in itself a constraint, but as long as the message is simple it
should eventually prevail.

Colin Smith
Research Repository Manager
Open Research Online (ORO)