Re: Question re work on relationships between insitutional and disciplinary repositories.

From: Herbert GRUTTEMEIER <gruttemeier_at_INIST.FR>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 06:30:36 -0500

Les, the message below, from an Inserm colleague, is an answer to your
question, some weeks ago, about connection between HAL and PMC. It also
gives, at the end, an example of what isn't accepted, in terms of 'third-
parties assistance' for self-archiving, by Elsevier.

Herbert Gruttemeier

"The connection of HAL to PMC has been the result of a collaboration
between Inserm and the CCSD with the NCBI.

Indeed, a number of technical conditions had to be settled:
- the adoption of the NLM DTD and the transformation of the full texts into
XML which is realized by an American society.
- a control quality has to be performed by HAL moderators after the
transformation into XML.
- a workflow system has been worked out (halms) from HAL to PMC.

Furthermore, the articles must possess a PMID, be in English and be
accessible without embargo. Finally, we agred with the NCBI that if a
publisher asked for it, we would remove his articles. This was the case for
Elsevier who allows the deposit in HAL from French authors (their
institutional repository) but not the transfer to PMC."