Reply from Karen Hunter (Elsevier)

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 17:21:06 -0500

[For those who could not read Karen Hunter's encrypted posting, here
is the ascii version]
Chuck,

Thanks for pointing out a possible misunderstanding.

I was not trying to suggest that authors could not work with others
around them to assist them with postings. What our policy is intended
to address are non-author initiatives (for example, by an IR
administrator) to periodically crawl our site and harvest all
articles (or, in this case, early manuscript versions) originating
from a given institution. By the way, we are happy to work with the
institution on ways to post metadata and link to the final article on
ScienceDirect.

Karen