Re: UK's HEFCE Squandering Its Credibility and Assets In Research Assessment

From: Charles Oppenheim <C.Oppenheim_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 20:01:20 +0000

Having worked for Thomson companies in the past I can
confirm that Thomson leaves them very much to their own
devices and makes no effort to get them to follow a party
line. In any case, all Evidence is doing is an analysis
of the REF Pilot, not the main REF itself. contracts for
running the main REF have not yet been signed. What's
more the deal for the evaluation for the REF Pilot was
ALWAYS only to use Web of Knwledge as the database,
whereas all the indications for the full REF are that it
will use both Web of Science and Scopus. So I think Stevan
can sleep easy on this one.

Charles