Re: "Overlay Journals" Over Again...

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:32:25 +0100

On 26/06/2009 05:31, Stevan Harnad wrote:
> Nor is this mere semiology; for thinking in terms of "overlay
> journals" rather than just peer-reviewed online-only journals with
> distributed archiving and access-provision, we miss the fact that the
> only real substantive components are the fact that articles need to be
> OA, and there needs to be a way other than subscription fees to pay
> for the cost of the peer review.
Stevan has replaced a short but 'inchoate, incoherent' phrase with a
somewhat longer functional description, a brave approach in our
apparently attention-limited, acronym dominated times. Further, in that
functional description, so much hangs on fully understanding the meaning
and impact of the term 'distributed' as a consequence of the digital
switch, and understates the magnitude of the change we are engaged in,
and how far we have come.

But it is a vitally important insight and summation, that brings
clarity, coherence and focus to our remaining OA challenges.

Steve

Steve Hitchcock
KeepIt Project Manager
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 7698 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865
http://preservation.eprints.org/keepit/
project blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/keepit/