Re: OA in High Energy Physics Arxiv Yields Five-Fold Citation Advantage

From: Alma Swan <a.swan_at_TALK21.COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 06:27:09 +0100

On 21/07/2009 21:40, "Sally Morris" <sally_at_MORRIS-ASSOCS.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:

> I merely reported what I was told by my IOPP contacts; clearly, however,
> not everyone there agreed with that view. I can't cite it because I can't
> now find it (I no longer have access to all the documents I had as ALPSP
> CEO); I don't see the point in retracting it because I believe that I
> accurately reported what I was told. Clearly Alma feels she did the same.

No, Alma doesn't feel she did the same at all.

Alma reported faithfully what she was told, obtained the written agreement
of the people being quoted to use their words and to attribute them to their
organisations, retains all the documentation and has been able to return to
that to retrieve original material to support her statements, as provided in
her previous message to this list.

And she has not accused anyone, erroneously and in public, of misquoting.

Alma feels that all makes her very different to Sally.

> We can speculate until we're blue in the face, but whether or not green OA
> does, in the end, damage subscription journals, of course, only time will
> tell.

Indeed, and the point of the exercise at the time was to look
retrospectively at what had happened in the first 15 years of
self-archiving. What speculators wish to make of that evidence is up to
them.

Alma Swan
Key Perspectives Ltd
Truro, UK