Re: OA in High Energy Physics Arxiv Yields Five-Fold Citation Advantage

From: C.Oppenheim_at_lboro.ac.uk <C.Oppenheim_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:05:43 +0100

    [ The following text is in the "windows-1257" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

When the Houghton Report on the economic benefits of OA was released earlier this year, one of the major criticisms of it by the publishing industry was that the industry had not been consulted in the calculation of the figures of costs of activities by publishers. I responded that we HAD talked to scholarly publishers, and a few had given us figures, but had asked for those figures to be kept strictly confidential and we were not to reveal our sources. The publishers complaining about the Houghton report were scornful about this reply.

Tony Hey, Alma Swan and David Prosser are criticising Sally for being unable to back up her statements in any way. Sally perhaps now knows how I felt when the publishing community were so dismissive of the Houghton Report figures.....

 Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Head
Department of Information Science