Re: Google book search settlement

From: Klaus Graf <klausgraf_at_GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:02:25 +0200

2009/8/11 Murali Shanmugavelan <Murali.Shanmugavelan_at_panos.org.uk>:

> From my first reading, this settlement has the potential to have negative impact on OA. This settlement - as i understand it - can bring in tons of unclaimed /non-propreitary works into google revenue streams. I am keen to know what others think.

The settlement can have large positive impact on OA if authors who are
copyright owner can negotiate with Google that their works are
presented in Google Book Search as full text for free.

The Chronicle podcast of an interview with Google's Adam Smith isn't
available no longer but you can trust in that what I wrote in German
at

http://archiv.twoday.net/stories/5760462/

Google will support authors who want to make their work free in Google
Book Search.

Klaus Graf