Re: Special OAIster Announcement from OCLC

From: Dirk Pieper <dirk.pieper_at_UNI-BIELEFELD.DE>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:48:47 +0200

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Hi,

Am Samstag, 26. September 2009 01:05:43 schrieb Thomas Krichel:

> I am not sure if an API is sufficent. I'd like to have a copy of the
> source data as well as of the data and scripts that are used to
> produce the output data. Anybody who will join my line of work
> will get these via rsync.

The main benefit of an API is, that you don't have to care about updating your
copy of data and scripts for aggregation and normalization.

From my point of view and my experience with creating search services it's
better to integrate a service like BASE in established search services then
creating a new service with the copy of data from other ones (see vascoda
being a flop in germany with that strategy). Using an API is the easiest way
for integration, when there is a good reason for using a copy of data we can
talk about it (what we will do soon as I know).

After all we should not forget why we are doing this: we want to raise the
usage of OA-documents and the visibilty of scientific output stored in
repositories. The fact, that BASE as the largest aggregator of OAI-data is
independent is a good assumption to assure, that this will happen under the
guideline of the Budapest declaration, to which the "OCLC OAIster Terms and
Conditions" don't match as I think.

Cheers
Dirk