Re: Parallel journals

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 13:12:37 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

(1) We don't need "parallel journals": we just need parallel ACCESS
to the articles in the journals that already exist.
(2) That's what green OA self-archiving of the author's final
refereed, revised draft provides.

(3) Green OA does not provide "parallel articles" either. It just
provides parallel access to the same journals.

(4) The difference between the publisher's PDF and the author's
self-archived final refereed, revised draft are completely trivial.
This is not something a researcher would worry about. Researchers are
worried about access denial, not PDF.

(5) A journal issue is just a hodge-podge of mostly unrelated
articles; no need to "reconstruct" that; open access to all the
articles plus good boolean search power is all that's needed.

(6) The PostGutenberg journal is just a peer-review service provider,
for quality assurance, plus a tag (the journal name) certifying the
outcome as having met the quality standards for which the journal has
an established track record.

(7) The rest is just the journal-tagged, peer-reviewed file, sitting
safely in the author's institutional repository (suitably backed up,
mirrored, preserved, etc.), plus central harvesters providing
powerful search capability across the entire distributed corpus.

(8) Gutenberg print editions, and even para-Gutenberg publisher-PDFs
will only last as long as there is still a user demand for them; with
100% Green OA, I promise you that that demand will not be coming from
researchers, nor from students...

Stevan Harnad