Re: How to Cite Items in an IR

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:06:45 -0500

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

On 9-Dec-09, at 9:56 AM, Martin Courtois wrote:

> Allyson, Sarah, Stevan,
>
> Thanks for you suggestions...very helpful! It seems like the best
> approach is to emphasize to faculty that the major citation styles have
> specific guidelines on how to cite items without page numbers, and it's
> simply a matter of following those guidelines. The scary part of this is
> that this would be a change in how some faculty are used to doing things,
> and change doesn't come as easily for some folks as it does for others
> (;-).
>
> This is somewhat under the surface, but whenever this questions comes up,
> I get the feeling it's raised to (1) point out an inherent weakness in IRs
> and OA and (2) to indicate to me that the faculty member raising the
> question has no intention of ever using or submitting to the IR. I'm
> probably just being too sensitive, and responding to this questions with a
> solid answer will certainly help to promote use of the IR.

You're absolutely right that most of the prima facie concerns raised by
faculty are ergonomic and neophobic defensiveness (seeking excuses for not
having to do anything new)!

Here is a FAQ you might find useful:
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/
And especially here: http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#38-worries

Also: Harnad, S. (2006) Opening Access by Overcoming Zeno's Paralysis, in
Jacobs, N., Eds. Open Access: Key Strategic, Technical and Economic Aspects,
chapter 8. Chandos. http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/12094/

Best wishes,

Stevan