Re: OA mandate from the US National Center for Atmospheric Research

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:38:31 -0400

> is "institutional repository" in this press release a
> complete misnomer? OpenSky will be a multi-institution, *disciplinary*
> repository, not so? Unless they are planning selective OAI-PMH
> harvesting from IRs, which isn't how I read the release.

The relevant distinction is institutional vs central repository,
because that is the one that is relevant to the all-important question
of whether funders should mandate convergent deposit (in fundees' own
institutional repositories [IRs], reinforcing their own institutional
deposit mandates) or divergent deposit (in a central repository,
competing with the fundee's own institutional deposit mandate).

Central repositories (mandated ones) should harvest from their
fundees' IRs, or accept automatic SWORD-like automatic exports rather
than insisting -- needlessly and counterproductively -- on direct
central deposit.

"Disciplinary" repository is a red herring. Whether a repository is
unidisciplinary or multidisciplinary is irrelevant. (An institutional
departmental repository would still be an IR, ecen though it was
disicplinary; and all the items in PubMed Central are certainly not
unidisciplinary.)

The only relevant variable is the locus of the direct deposit:
institutional or off-site. (And even that is only relevant for
mandated funder repositories.)

Unless I misunderstand, NCAR is an institution, not a funder. It has
its own researchers and its own repository, and that repository
happens to be (somewhat) unidisciplinary, because NCAR is (somewhat)
unidisciplinary.

The relevant question is whether NCAR's researchers are indeed
institutional, or distributed across many other institutions, for then
there would indeed arise the very same sort of locus-of-deposit
conflict that arises with funder mandates, with local institutional
researchers put off from depositing because of the prospect of having
to double-deposit, or deposit in different places for different
funders.

(A clarification from NCAR would help: If NCAR's researchers are
distributed across other institutions, then NCAR should stipulate that
harvest/import is OK as a means of complying with the NCAR mandate,
rather than implying researchers distributed at other institutions
will need to do a direct deposit in over and above their own
institutional deposit.)

How To Integrate University and Funder Open Access Mandates
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/369-guid.html

Stevan Harnad