Re: Tenurometer

From: Couture Marc <couture.marc_at_TELUQ.UQAM.CA>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:59:25 -0500

I also find Tenurometer quite interesting, because it is much more
comprehensive than other citation-based tools (Scopus, Web of
Science), as it takes into account citations to a large spectrum of
document types (conference papers, book chapters, preprints, even
blog entries), though all types are included by default in what is
called "Number of Articles" in the prominently displayed "Impact
Analysis" field.

But, as I realized when I tested it with my own name (of course) and
one of my colleague's from a completely different field, one has to
filter out all irrelevant entries : not just namesakes, but also
redundant entries, documents that cannot be qualified as "articles"
or "article-like" (like blog entries or technical reports), and
outright "junk" (for example, articles by other authors).

But this is quite to be expected, as it they explain in the site's
FAQ :

"Tenurometer gets raw data from Google Scholar, which is based on
automatic crawling, parsing, and indexing algorithms, and therefore
the data is subject to noise, errors, and incomplete or outdated
citation information. Through the Tenurometer interface you can
remove noisy results."

Indeed one can easily check out all superfluous entries, and the
statistics are adjusted accordingly.

So, once this filtering task is done (buy this could be tedious with
hundreds of entries), Tenurometer sure gives you a better (and much
more up-to-date) measure of your impact in your field than the other
similar tools.

But I would hesitate to use it in any official way : the dean is no
fool (or so we hope).

Marc Couture