Fwd: Interest in Memento?

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:53:18 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Leslie Carr <lac -- ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 6:53 AM
Subject: Interest in Memento?
To: JISC-REPOSITORIES_at_jiscmail.ac.uk

Have you heard of Memento, one of Herbert van de Sompel's recent projects.

"Have you ever felt frustrated by your inability to get to old
versions of Web pages? Did you bookmark a page last year, and
revisited it recently only to find that the current content isn't even
remotely related to what caught your interest back then? ... Wouldn’t
it be much easier if you could just connect to cnn.com, Wikipedia, or
news.bbc.co.uk indicating that you are interested in the pages of
March 20 2008, not the current ones? If you could activate a time
machine in your browser or bot?" (http://www.mementoweb.org/)

We (EPrints) have been asked to think about providing support for this
facility in our repository software,  but we'd like to get some
feedback from the community.

Would this be useful to anyone? What use cases can you foresee?
Indeed, have you ever felt frustrated by the lack of this facility, as
the project page assumes?
--
Les Carr