Re: Facing up to fraud - China's exponential research growth could fuel fraud

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:13:24 +0000

On 19 Feb 2010, at 05:00, Dana Roth wrote:

> The January 25 issue of Chemistry & Industry (issue 2, 2010) has a short article on research fraud which includes a sidebar on the situation in China (see below). This suggests that, contrary to Heather Morrison's suggestion, scholar led open access publishing is not a viable solution. Without a cadre of truly professional peer-reviewers, publication in Chinese journals will become increasingly suspect.

I draw the reverse conclusion. The frauds were discovered precisely because the already-peer-reviewed-material was available in an open access form for subsequent analysis.
See the IUCR editorial http://journals.iucr.org/e/issues/2010/01/00/me0406/ , and the 2004 presentation to the BCA "Crystal Structure EPrints: Publication _at_ Source Through the Open Archive Initiative" ( http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/1633/ )
--
Les Carr