Fwd: JAIRO (Japanese Institutional Repositories Online)

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 07:35:56 -0400

Many thanks to Andrew for pointing out my pre-emptive error (in sniffing out Gold Fever)! No, Hokkaido University is not paying pre-emptively for Gold Open Access. It is merely (like all universities) paying for subscription access and (like all but 100 universities so far) limiting the potential impact of its own research output as well its own users' access to the research output of other universities published in journals to which it cannot afford to subscribe. So (like all universities that have not yet done so) the only thing Hokkaido needs to do now is to mandate the Green OA self-archiving of its own research output. That done, all else will take care of itself, as a natural matter of course...

Stevan Harnad

PS I doubt that any university in the world can afford to pay pay-per-view costs for every paper any one of its users ever clicks on!