Re: Parapsychology

From: Harnad, Stevan (harnad@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 17 1995 - 14:59:54 GMT

> From: "Roberts, Craig" <CRAIG92@psy.soton.ac.uk>
> Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 11:09:17 GMT
>
> I do agree with the replies that I have had so far, it's just that
> playing Devil's advocate generates great debate...(and it is fun!)
>
> Another point that has just sprung to mind is that does it really
> matter if Science or anything cannot explain these? If these
> phenomenon can do no harm, the truth may not be needed.
> People can believe whole hearteadly about anomalies and that they can
> predict things or whatever, and again if no harm is done, then how
> can we be critical towards the individual? This then falls into the
> realms of religion. People believe in an almighty thing because,
> supposedly, they have been touched and have communicated with it.
> Therefore, is religion another phenomena outside the realm of human
> knowledge (and even a parapsychological experience believed by
> many?).
>
> Thanks for replying and do not hold what I originally said against
> me! I just love a good debate......
>
> Craig.

No harm in it (if you don't count on it to deflect bombs back into the
future), but the reason I keep harping on the fact that science is just
common sense and bread and butter matters is that, if we are being
serious about what's what (the way we are when we need to eat, or to
cure someone's illness) rather than just whimsical (the way we are when
we sniff laughing gas or look for camels in clouds), then there IS a
difference between what's really true and what's just fun to believe
(i.e., make-believe).

And, believe it or not, I don't mean these discussions to be debates
(where, characteristically, one doesn't particularly believe any of the
positions, but merely argues for them in order to score points). I think
disagreement and commentary is a good stimulus to thinking and getting
at the truth, not JUST good wholesome fun...

Chrs, Stevan