Re: Introspection and Explanation

From: Dunsdon, Graham (ged196@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 12 1997 - 09:15:17 GMT

Stevan, forgive me, I was an only child!! You say:

> What we need to do now is EXPLAIN (not define) how
> the mind works: How does the brain manage to do all the things we do
> with our minds? We won't get very far in trying to explain how the
> brain manages to FEEL, but we can make some headway in trying to
> explain what it can DO.'

In attempting to explain how the mind works by trying to explain what
it can do, you suggest (I think) that we should consider our awareness
- because 'our awareness is what it is to be a mind'. What is the
distinction between awareness and introspection?