Mysterious Faces

From: Anonymous (anonpy104@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 13:16:53 GMT

In reference to the recognition of faces, how is it that although we can
recognise someone almost instantly when we see their face (assuming of
course that we know the person) it is often very difficult to get a
clear picture of the person in your mind (again assuming that everyone
out there has a mind - I know I do) when they are out of sight?

Also, it sometimes happens that you recognise someone but cannot
put a name to their face. Is this perhaps a breakdown in communication
between different modules of the brain?