Re: Mysterious Faces

From: Holmes, Sharon (shh@isvr.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 13:46:10 GMT

This is one of my 'favourite' deficits in face recognition - Capgras
syndrome. A subject will typically recognise faces, yet feel that
the person is an imposter. I.e. they will recognise their mother,
but strongly state that she is not their mother, but someone
pretending to be her. This syndrome highlights two different
pathways in the recognition of faces - the identification of the face
belonging to someone (i.e. putting the name to the face) and the
other a more primitive 'familiarity' route - knowing that the face is
familiar.