Nature's vs. Science's Embargo Policy

From: Diana Deutsch <dd_at_philomel.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 21:59:40 +0000

I just noticed that you listed Nature as a journal that does not have
embargo policies. However, they write in their Instructions to
Contributors that authors need to state with their submissions that the
work they report has not been disseminated in any way (for example, no
press releases). Recently I decided not to submit a recent finding to
Nature for publication, because the work had received considerable media
attention following a talk I gave at a meeting of the Acoustical Society of
America, and a lay-language version that the ASA (indeed a branch of the
enlightened AIP) posted for this meeting. The URL is:

http://www.acoustics.org/138th/deutsch.htm

One advantage of this posting is that it contains sound examples that can
be downloaded, which of course makes the whole thing much more informative.

I'd be grateful if you had any information about Nature's 'real' policy
on this.

Diana Deutsch
Professor of Psychology
Department of Psychology