Re: Sustaining ePrints

From: ePrints Support <support_at_EPRINTS.ORG>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:38:58 +0000

One issue in the design of eprints-2 is that it is geared up to allow
many (smaller) archives to be run on one physical computer. Which means
that a larger organisation could buy one "chunky" computer and then
provide eprints archives with seperate customisations, OAI exports (and
colour schemes) for various departments which don't have the resources and
expertise to do this themseleves. This should reduce the cost in parts (and
system admin hours!) to get several archives going.

I can even imagine, long term, someone offering a "hosting" service for
a fee where they actually administrate the archive and do the "hard stuff"
plus own the computer and networking, and look after dull things like backups,
and upgrades. An "archive farm" if you will.

This would probably work out more cost effective than buying and installing
a machine and having learn the ins-and outs of the system for a single
archive. EPrints is free, so we don't have to grub for licenses by requiring
one copy per archive :)

My own server, running eprints-alpha-2, is running demoprints.eprints.org,
eprints.aktors.org + a couple of other test archives. Later, it will be
running our department publications archive and an archive of Ted Nelsons
material.

The bottle neck is processor power, caused by larger datasets but mostly
by "hits". So large, popular archives should probably run on their own
machine.