Re: preservation vs. Preservation

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:56:53 +0100 (BST)

Philip, there is a persistent and as yet uncorrected, and as yet even
undetected misunderstanding in this discussion about preservation and
Preservation, and for that reason we keep talking past one another.

Below, you quote me in full on a future-conditional: "If/when
S, then P" , where "P" happens to be "the small-p preservation problem
becomes identical with the big-P Preservation problem."

Now, logically speaking, I think you agree that the implications of this
future conditional depend entirely on what the antecedent "S" is. But S is
"If/when self-archiving ever reaches 100%".

Self-archiving is not only nowhere near 100% today (it's 15%), but one
of the (many) reasons it is not 100% is that there is no mandate to do
it, and without a mandate, researchers (apart from the spontaneous 15%)
simply are not doing it.

Why is there no mandate? Because there is no clear understanding of *why*
self-archiving needs to be done (and mandated). Instead, there is the
widespread, totally erroneous notion that self-archiving needs to be done
for the sake of Preservation. But there is *no Preservation problem* for
self-archived author final-drafts! So there is no point self-archiving
them (if the purpose of self-archiving them is Preservation): the
Preservation problem is not the problem of long-term Preservation of
authors' final drafts (which is what authors need to be self-archiving,
but aren't); it is the problem of the long-term Preservation of
publishers' and subscribing libraries' proprietary digital PDF/XML,
and, as always, that problem is still in the hands of publishers and
subscribing libraries (and deposit libraries), *not* the author (nor
the author's institution). Nor *should* it be in the hands of the author
(or the author's institution) *while the truth-value of S is F (False)*,
i.e., while not-S is true.

So not only are Preservationists giving the author the entirely wrong
idea (and the wrong, non-existent motivation) if they suggest that they
should self-archive for the sake of the long-term Preservation of their
final drafts (that is utter, unmitigated nonsense, and authors know it,
and rightly ignore it), but, even more important, inasmuch as librarians
are often in charge of IRs, and what they are used for, and how they are
promoted, as long as Preservationists keep focussing on the superfluous
and irrelevant Preservation agenda for their IRs, and neglecting their
real and urgent immediate purpose, which is immediate OA-provision,
Preservationists are *delaying* instead of facilitating S (i.e., the
fulfillment of the premise "If/when self-archiving ever reaches 100%".).

Meanwhile, of course, IRs are perfectly adequate for small-p preservation
(with many ongoing preservation projects, including the one Southampton is
actively involved in) and, keeping in step with preservation developments
and naturally updating practice and upgrading functionality as necessary
-- yet they remain 85% empty, in part because they are focussed on the
superfluous and irrelevant big-P Preservation at the cost of the urgent
and immediate big-C Content agenda: capturing 100% of annual research
article output, *now*.

The posting to which I was responding (on the topic thread "Formaldehyde
and Function") was asking whether there exists any evidence in support
of the hypothesis that authors are not-self-archiving today *because*
they are worried about Preservation! (I.e, asking whether there is any
evidence that "not-P causes not-S"). The answer is that not only is there
no evidence for it, but the hypothesis is absurd: Big-P Preservation is
not the reason authors need to self-archive, and if it *were* the reason,
then authors would (rightly) *never* self-archive, because the reason
is fallacious. There is no need whatsoever to Preserve their authors'
final drafts forever today (for those, small-p preservation is enough):
It is their publisher's proprietary PDF/XML that needs the large-P
Preservation today.

So -- although after so many rounds I despair of ever conveying the
logic of the misunderstanding, and feel we are doomed instead to keep
re-enacting the exchanges between Lewis Carrol's Achilles and the Tortoise
http://www.lewiscarroll.org/achilles.html -- here's another stab at it:

Yes, if/when S then P. But not-S, today. And S only if/when we forget about
P and focus on S for the sake of O, not P.

Meanwhile, p, and peace...

Stevan Harnad

PS I fully expect the next Carrolingian round to be focussed on the theme:
"Well then, what we should be encouraging authors to do is to
self-archive, not their final drafts, but their publisher's proprietary
PDF/XML, for the sake of Preservation; and for the sake of that, we
should also be encouraging copyright retention..." Lots of luck.
Preservationists, fixated on the long-term future, obviously have lots
of time on their hands. Meanwhile, research impact and progress continue
to be needlessly lost, daily, monthly, yearly... irreversibly (at least
for small-r researchers with finite life-spans).