Re: Poynder Again on Point on Institutional Repositories

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:52:04 +0100

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Helen Hockx-Yu wrote:

> long-term preservation helps give authors more confidence in the future
> accessibility and more incentives to deposit content, at least for
> learning and teaching materials.

I agree completely. But I don't think the first and most urgent content
priority for IRs is the storage and preservation of learning and teaching
materials. It's Open Access (OA) provision for institutional research
output. That's why there's something to be said for Richard Poynder's
suggestion of a (perhaps temporary) parting of ways between the OA IR
movement and the Digital Preservation IR movement.
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/03/institutional-repositories-and-little.html
Then each could focus on filling their respective IRs with their
respective target content, for their respective reasons, without getting
in one another's way, or conflating one another's target content or
rationale for depositing. Once 100% OA is reached, the two can be safely
re-united...

Stevan Harnad
American Scientist Open Access Forum

Chaire de recherche du Canada Professor of Cognitive Science
Ctr. de neuroscience de la cognition Dpt. Electronics & Computer Science
Université du Québec à Montréal University of Southampton
Montréal, Québec Highfield, Southampton
Canada H3C 3P8 SO17 1BJ United Kingdom
http://www.crsc.uqam.ca/ http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/