Re: Green OA is no threat to grants: Only Gold OA, today, might be

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:01:42 +0000

I am of course in complete sympathy with the thrust of the posting by
my friend and OA comrade-at-arms, Keith Jeffery, but some minor
corrections on the message below need to be noted.

(1) COST: The core problem with the attempt to link Gold OA (publishing) with Green
OA self-archiving mandates is that it substantially increases the risk that the
mandates will not be adopted at all. The reason is that it would entail
diverting research funds toward paying Gold OA publication costs, today.
This would generate research community resistance to the OA mandates (and
already has).

(2) and (3) EASE OF ACCESS and COST are moot, because all Gold Publishers are
also Green. Hence all Gold OA journal articles can (and should) be self-archived
in the author's own Institutional Repository as well, just like non-OA journal
articles. That will guarantee the full functionality Keith rightly seeks
(including the all-important CRIS and CERIF functionality he urges).

Stevan Harnad