Re: Optimizing OA Self-Archiving Mandates

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:13:47 +0000

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Talat Chaudhri [tac] wrote:

> [A] reason why it might be that student theses are mandated sooner
> than staff research [is] the general fear of the employer about
> possible trade union action based on copyright issues relating to
> academic research

Talat, this is the canard that institutional OA activists like you should
set as your highest priority target for debunking! I think that it is an
even bigger obstacle to the adoption of Green OA self-archiving mandates
than the (equally groundless) worry that staff would resent or fail to
comply with a mandate.

There is a simple, legal, decisive, and universal solution to all
copyright-related worries: Do not mandate OA. Mandate *deposit*, and leave
the decision as to whether to set access to the deposit as Open Access
or Closed Access (only the bibliographic metadata accessible) up to
the author.

This is the Immediate-Deposit/Optional-Access (ID/OA) mandate, and it is
the default mandate that all OA activists should be aiming for (unless,
of course, they can get an even stronger one without any opposition or
delay).

Nature, and human nature, will take care of the rest.

    The Immediate-Deposit/Optional Access (ID/OA) Mandate:
    Rationale and Model
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html

    Optimizing OA Self-Archiving Mandates:
    What? Where? When? Why? How?
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

    How the Immediate-Deposit/Optional-Access Mandate
    + the "Fair Use" Button Work
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/274-guid.html

Stevan Harnad
AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/American-Scientist-Open-Access-Forum.h
tml
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/

UNIVERSITIES and RESEARCH FUNDERS:
If you have adopted or plan to adopt a policy of providing Open Access
to your own research article output, please describe your policy at:
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
    BOAI-1 ("Green"): Publish your article in a suitable toll-access journal
    http://romeo.eprints.org/
OR
    BOAI-2 ("Gold"): Publish your article in an open-access journal if/when
    a suitable one exists.
    http://www.doaj.org/
AND
    in BOTH cases self-archive a supplementary version of your article
    in your own institutional repository.
    http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://archives.eprints.org/
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/