Re: Optimizing OA Self-Archiving Mandates

From: FrederickFriend <ucylfjf_at_UCL.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:55:45 -0000

Trade unions may not strike over copyright, but I still have the bruises to
prove that copyright can cause a furore. At UCL a few years ago I dared to
suggest that UCL might own the copyright in some of the work of its academic
staff. I was vilified internally, the AUT (as it was then) were up in arms,
and I was pilloried in "Private Eye" for daring to make the suggestion. As
you can tell I survived to tell the tale, and appearing in "Private Eye" did
wonders for my image, but don't under-estimate the seething passions under
the calm surface of copyright.

Fred Friend