Re: Cost of running an OA repository

From: barbara kirsop <barbara_at_BIOSTRAT.DEMON.CO.UK>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 11:44:42 -0000

As I think we have discussed before, the answer to Miradon's question is as
long as a piece of string. In other words, it depends what you mean by an OA
repository.

If it is a repository to hold an institute's published output, the costs are
comparatively trivial. I have asked IR managers from India what the costs to
them were and they replied 'not very much', or 'we used existing resources'
or '2 people's salary for helping with deposit/formatting plus new PC
~$6055'. Clearly this needs to be translated into local currencies and to
meet different volumes of publications.

If on the other hand you are talking about a campus-wide resource containing
theses, educational packages, conference presentations and so on, then it's
a different ball game and is not what we are focussing on in this forum. It
is really important to define what you are talking about when quoting
figures as detractors will quote high figures for the all-embracing
scenario, whereas the cost of an OA repository, set up to hold an
institute's publications, is perfectly affordable by those in economically
constrained countries. And it's this that is necessary to enable access to
the world's published research and to speed scientific progress.

Barbara
.