Re: Universities with PhD Mandates

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:05:06 -0500

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 7:39 AM, James Tuttle <james_tuttle_at_ncsu.edu>
wrote:
> The solution is very simple:
>
> (1) Mandate deposit of all Theses.
>
> (2) But allow the option of making the deposit Closed
      Access (only the
> metadata are visible web-wide -- the full-text is
      accessible only to the
> author and repository administrators).

This is very similar to our approach.  The Graduate College
requires
electronic deposition of all thesis and dissertations.
 Students have
the option of requesting an embargo period of up to 2 years.
 Rarely,
papers may be withheld or withdrawn completely through a
request to the
Graduate College.  Otherwise, all papers are submitted to the
ETD
repository in the Libraries.

Bravo! (Now all NCSU need do to optimize their admirable policy for
theses is to apply it also to all NCSU research article output -- and
to add the "Email Eprint Request " Button to the NCSU Institutional
Repository ! EPrints invented it, but Eloy Rodrigues kindly created
one for DSpace too.

Stevan Harnad