Re: Question re work on relationships between insitutional and disciplinary repositories.

From: R John Robertson <rr_at_CIS.STRATH.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 09:58:44 +0100

Hi Mary Anne,

there have been a number of projects in the UK that have looked at this
issue.

Three current pieces of work of relevance to your question

the SWORD project
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/repositories/digirep/index/SWORD
This SWORD project has developed an Atom based api for remote deposit to
repositories.
'SWORD is bundled with the current release of DSpace, and will be part
of forthcoming versions of EPrints, Fedora and IntraLibrary '
see also: http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue54/allinson-et-al/

the IncReASe project
http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/increase/index.html
This project is looking at scenarios and tools around deposit to an
institutional repository and a funding council repository

the FeedForward project
http://legolas.cetis.ac.uk/
'FeedForward is a JISC-funded project
<http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/programme_rep_pres/tools/feedforw
ard.aspx>
to develop an application that enables individuals to make better use of
the information environment, with a unified workflow that enables the
selection, scanning, sorting, annotation and sharing of resources from a
range of sources, both 'informal' (such as blogs) and 'formal' (such as
bibliographic databases and institutional repositories).'
This (alpha) tool includes support for SWORD and supports some degree of
desktop deposit. The team also put together a simple demostration tool
'Filebalst' for the CRIG Repository Challenge at Open Repositories 2008.

kind regards,
John Robertson

--
R. John Robertson