Re: Please Don't Conflate Green and Gold OA

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_OZEMAIL.COM.AU>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:37:09 +1100

Klaus

I find your conclusions regarding the "Request Button" unproven.

·         Firstly, it is obvious that the button "works" in the case
of the University of Tasmania. You got two papers, so the software
works.

·         Secondly the sample was ridiculously small.

·         Thirdly, you have given no indication of what you asked
for. For example if you had asked for a thesis, the following could
have happened:

a.  The research might have a totally banned commercial reason for
non-disclosure (I have just had a PhD student graduate, and the
company that sponsors him insists on a two year total embargo so they
can exploit the research. This is not peer reviewed and published
research.

b.  You might be asking during the exam period / summer holidays (you
will know your northern summer is 6 months out of sync with ours,
ditto academic year).

c.  The graduate may have left the University and the email address
on record might be defunct.

·         Fourthly, the author may still be ignorant or worried about
their rights under Australian copyright law (unfounded, but real).

Arthur Sale

University of Tasmania