Re: Please Don't Conflate Green and Gold OA

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_OZEMAIL.COM.AU>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 17:43:12 +1100

Dear Klaus

I don't believe you are an idiot, but if you want to be taken seriously you
must give the data to support your arguments. It was really interesting to
see, for example, that the two papers you received were from our top 1% of
researchers (Professors Large and Canty). Large h-index 12, 67 papers, 680
citations, paper 0 cites published 2007, Geology; Canty h-index 8, 111
papers, 294 citations, paper 0 cites published 2008, Chemistry.

Your queries were pitched right in the middle of the examinations period,
and I am sure that even in Germany you would expect this to have
consequences for responses. You also chose three geology papers, which we
know here have some of the most restrictive copyright policies on the
planet. The reasons are obvious: there is a lot of money involved in
minerals exploitation (billions of dollars) and people pay very high prices
for these journals. One paper (your second, from Education) is unpublished,
for a reason I don't know, but in any case it is not yet public nor
refereed. The remaining three are from political science (2) and chemistry
(1).

Since this is early days in the use of the button, I thought 2/6 (33%) is
actually not a bad response even ignoring the time of the year. It is
certainly a better access rate than 0/6, and better than non-mandatory OA
deposit (around 10-15%). Obviously we in Tasmania need to do more work to
educate our depositors to respond to 'reprint' requests, and we will. So
maybe if I concede that the button is not infallible, perhaps you will
concede that it is so far better than any non-mandatory deposit scheme
known.

I would be grateful if you would stop labelling all processes at the
University of Tasmania that you don't agree with as Harnadian. I make up my
own mind as to what to implement.

Arthur Sale
University of Tasmania