Dr Gabriele B Durrant MSc, PhD
Associate Professor in Social Statistics
- Related links
Dr Gabriele B. Durrant is Associate Professor (Reader) in Social Statistics in the Department of Social Statistics and Demography at the University of Southampton (since 2012).
She is Deputy Director of the ESRC National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM), Director of NCRM Training and the lead researcher of the NCRM workpackage 1. She is also Co-Investigator of the Administrative Data Research Centre for England (ADRCE), including lead investigator of the ADRCE Training Programme. She is currently Principle Investigator of a 4-year ESRC research project on paradata. Previously, she was the Director of CASS (Courses in Applied Social Surveys) (until 2014).
She joined the Southampton Statistical Sciences Research Institute as a lecturer in October 2005 and was made Senior Lecturer in 2010 and Reader in 2012. She previously worked as a senior research fellow at the ESRC National Centre for Research Methods (2004–2005) after completing her PhD in 2004. She has extensive research interests in the areas of paradata, interviewer effects, nonresponse in sample surveys, measurement error, and statistical modelling in the social sciences, in particular multilevel modelling. More recently she also developed an interest on using linked datasources, particularly in the area of energy use and environmental attitudes. She holds an MSc Mathematics and Geography from the University of Bonn, Germany.
- Deputy Director of the ESRC National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM) and Director of NCRM Training (2014-2019)
- Co-Investigator of the ESRC Administrative Data Research Centre for England (ADRCE) (2013-2018)
- Director of CASS (Courses in Applied Social Surveys) (2013-2014)
- Principal investigator of several large research projects, including two ESRC research grants, one on paradata (2011 - 2015) and one on nonresponse analysis (2007-2011)
- Guest editor of the special issue on paradata of the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A (Vol 176, 1, 2013)
- Associate editor of the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A (2008-2012)
- Member of the Social Statistics Section Committee of the Royal Statistical Society (2009-2013)
- Elected member of the International Statistical Research Institute
- Visiting research fellow at the Institute of Employment Research (IAB), Nuremberg, Germany (2011)