Gabriele B Durrant
- Primary position:
Gabriele B. Durrant is a Reader at the Southampton Statistical Sciences Research Institute (S3RI) at the University of Southampton (since March 2012) and Director of CASS (Courses in Applied Social Surveys). She joined the Institute as a lecturer in October 2005 and was made Senior Lecturer in March 2010 and Reader in March 2012. She previously worked as a senior research fellow at the ESRC National Centre for Research Methods (2004–2005) after completing her PhD in 2004. She has extensive research interests in the areas of paradata, interviewer effects, nonresponse in sample surveys, measurement error, and statistical modelling in the social sciences, in particular multilevel modelling. She holds an MSc Mathematics and Geography from the University of Bonn, Germany.
- principal investigator of several large research projects, including two ESRC research grants, one on paradata (2011 - 2015) and one on nonresponse analysis (2007-2011)
- guest editor of the special issue on paradata of the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A (Vol 176, 1, 2013)
- associate editor of the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A (2008-2012)
- member of the Social Statistics Section Committee of the Royal Statistical Society (2009-2013)
- elected member of the International Statistical Research Institute
- visiting research fellow of the Institute of Employment Research (IAB), Nuremberg, Germany (2011)
The University of Southampton's electronic library (e-prints)
Conference or Workshop Item
• use and analysis of paradata (survey process data)
• interviewer effects in sample surveys
• missing data and nonresponse in sample surveys
• statistical modelling in the social sciences, in particular multilevel modelling
• measurement error in sample surveys
- 3.5-year ESRC Research Grant (404K; Principal Investigator, co-applicants: Prof P.W. Smith and Prof F. Kreuter.) Title: The Use of Paradata (Field Process Data) in Cross-Sectional and Longitudinal Surveys, RES-062-23-2997, Sept 2011 – Feb 2015.
- 3.5-year ESRC Research Grant (568K; Principal Investigator, co-applicants: Prof C. Skinner, Prof J. Micklewright and Dr Fiona Steele), Title: Hierarchical Analysis of Unit Non-Response in Sample Surveys, RES-062-23-0458, Sept 2007 – Feb 2011.
- 3-year ESRC Research Grant (353K; co-applicant with Prof J. Bynner (PI), Prof H. Goldstein, Prof P. Lynn, Prof C. Skinner, Prof I. Plewis and NatCen), Title: Solving the Problem of Attrition in Longitudinal Surveys’, RES-175-25-0011, Sept 2007 – Aug 2010.
- 1-year research grant, funded by the Office for National Statistics, (45K; Principal Investigator), Title: Analysis of Nonresponse in Household Surveys using the UK Survey Nonresponse Census Link Study, Aug 2005-Aug 2006.
- 3-year ESRC and ONS research project, Title: Estimation of Pay Distributions in the Presence of Missing Data and Measurement Error (2000-2003). The project was funded by the ESRC, grant number R422200034286, and the Office for National Statistics.
- 1-year Small Research Grant, 2005-2006, University of Southampton
Director of CASS
CASS is a programme of short courses in applied social surveys funded by the ESRC and part of the National Centre for Research Methods.
Gabriele currently supervises several PhD students working on topics related to nonresponse, multilevel modelling, interviewer effects, use of paradata in cross-sectional and longitudinal surveys.
Gabriele is the programme coordinator of the CASS short course programme (Courses in Applied Social Surveys) which is part of the training programme of the ESRC National Centre for Research Methods. Gabriele has extensive experience of teaching courses in survey data analysis at postgraduate and professional level, including courses for CASS. Further topics have included short courses on nonresponse, multilevel modelling and use of paradata.