Electrical engineering concerns anything that involves electrical power, from the electromagnetics of superconducting systems to the principles of power generation and transmission, and the development of more efficient and sustainable energy sources.
Energy is one of today’s biggest global challenges, with energy generation and supply, coupled with environmental factors, placing future energy needs and provision at the top of government agendas in every country.
Electrical Engineering at Southampton emphasises the fundamentals of electrical theory while acknowledging the multidisciplinary nature of the field. Our programmes are broad, based on solid physical and mathematical understanding, and will provide you with the analytical skills to design and develop the technology of tomorrow.
They offer a unique opportunity for study and research, experimentally and theoretically, across a wide range of subjects. In each year, you will be involved with design and build projects, developing confidence and the skills to deliver working prototypes. We also provide outstanding experimental laboratory facilities, especially in our high-voltage laboratory.
Typical entry requirements
3 year BEng: AAB in three A Levels, including Mathematics and Physics (or equivalent international qualifications)
4 year MEng: AAA in three A Levels, including Mathematics and Physics (or equivalent international qualifications)
Average applicants per place: 6
Selection process: UCAS application and interview
Degree | UCAS code | Duration
BEng Electrical Engineering | H620 | 3 years
MEng Electrical Engineering | H601 | 4 years
BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering | H600 | 3 years
MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering | H602 | 4 years
BEng/MEng Engineering with Foundation Year | H008 | 4/5 years
- First/second in the UK for electrical and electromechanical engineering (The Times and The Guardian, 2011)
- World-leading, with our own high-voltage laboratory
- Member of the UK Power Academy, with opportunities for generous scholarships
- 97.5 per cent of research deemed “world class” or “of international standing” in the 2008 RAE
- Outstanding electrical engineering lab and computing facilities and helpdesks, and excellent learning resources.
- We have excellent relationships with employers, run our own Careers Hub website (http://ecs.soton.ac.uk/careers) and hold our own annual careers fair.
- We have one of the best employment rates in the UK.
−−Electricity supply industry
−−Major electrical companies
−−Research and development
−−Business and finance
We have launched a new campus for engineering in Malaysia. From 2013, our split campus degree will offer the opportunity to study our BEng and MEng Electrical Engineering programmes in both the UK and Malaysia.
For more information, visit www.southampton.ac.uk/my.
For information on scholarships, visit www.southampton.ac.uk/scholarships.