The University offers more than 5,000 places in 20 halls of residence and is one of the largest providers of accommodation to students in the UK.
Choose from self-catered or catered, many with en-suite facilities
We offer full-time registered undergraduate and international postgraduate students a place in halls during their first year of study. All our halls offer high quality accommodation in a safe, friendly and diverse environment with excellent facilities:
- Self-catered halls with well-equipped communal kitchens, or part-catered accommodation with 10 meals provided throughout the week, plus some meals at weekends.
- All halls have a variety of common rooms and various facilities, which may include a library, music room, TV and games rooms and a computer room. Some halls have sports facilities, all have launderettes and many have bars and other social facilities.
- All halls have food shops nearby.
- Junior Common Room (JCR) committee and organised social and sporting events in every hall.
- Many of the halls offer a range of rooms, including en-suite rooms.
- Southampton halls are connected to campuses and the city centre by the fast, frequent uni-link bus service.
- A Residence Support Service on hand for advice and guidance from 6pm to 8am every night of the year.
Explore our accommodation
You can take a tour of our halls of residences by attending a University Open Day.
Using our Virtual Open Day you can explore our accommodation from wherever you are. Take a look around the different types of rooms, such as standard or en-suite, as well as the kitchens and common rooms. You can also visit facilities such as gyms, laundry rooms and restaurants in the catered halls.
If you are a full-time, registered* undergraduate student we will offer you a place in halls during your first year of study, providing you meet the following criteria:
- You normally live outside the Southampton city boundaries.
- Your application is received by 1 August in the year in which your studies commence.
- You are unaccompanied - you do not bring any dependants, such as a partner or children.
If you are a non-EU international undergraduate student commencing study before 2013/14, you are guaranteed an offer of accommodation for the duration of your studies in Southampton. You will need to apply by 1 August in the year in which your course begin, and before the start of the second semester in the following years.
If you are a non-EU international undergraduate student commencing study in 2013 or later, we are able to guarantee you an offer of accommodation for your first year of study and one subsequent year.
We guarantee accommodation for EU students in the first year of their studies.
For more information on accommodation, visit www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation
*Full-time and studying for a complete academic year