Dr Tiejun Ma PhD
Associate Professor in Risk and Decision Analytics
- Related links
Dr. Tiejun Ma received his PhD from the School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh. Before he joined the Department of Decision Analytics and Risk, University of Southampton, he worked at the Department of Computing, Imperial College London and the Oxford e-Research Centre, University of Oxford to carry on research work related to quantitative modelling related to mobile network and computing systems. Dr. Ma’s research focuses on risk analysis and decision-making using quantitative modelling and real-time Big data analysis techniques applies to FinTech, Cyber-Risk, and Resilience of distributed systems. He employs applied data science and mathematical modelling methodologies in the analysis/forecasts of risks, using an inter-disciplinary research strategy, via state-of-the-art computing, data analytics and behavioural analysis techniques. He plays an active role within the University’s Web Science, 'Digital Economy', and 'Computational Modelling', ‘Data Science’ research groups. Dr. Ma is a management team member of EPSRC/GCHQ funded Southampton Centre of Excellence for Cyber-Security Research and is on the University executive Board of High Performance and Data Intensive Computing Working Group. Dr. Ma is a selected member of EPSRC’s New Economy Model Network and is a selected reviewer for EPSRC/ESRC proposals and fellow of the Higher Education academy. Dr Ma has extensive experience in large-scale data analysis, risk modelling and real-time decision-making of finance and computing challenges and has been published on international leading journals, such as European Journal of Operations Research, Expert Systems with Applications and IEEE Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing and Journal of Information Assurance and Security etc. Dr. Ma has been successful in securing £1.6m+ in research grants on 18 projects (as PI or CI) from Research Councils (e.g. EPSRC/ESRC/Innovation UK/GCHQ/HEA etc.) and industry partners. Now, Dr. Ma is supervising/co-supervising a risk analysis research team of 10 funded PhD students and 5 funded project Research Fellows.
- 2017 –current: Associate Professor, Department of Decision Analytics and Risk, University of Southampton.
- 2013 –current: Programme Director, MSc in Cyber Security and Risk Management & MSc in Risk Management.
- 2012 –2016: Assistant Professor, Department of Decision Analytics and Risk, University of Southampton.
- 2010 –2011: Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Risk Research, University of Southampton.
- 2009 –2010: Research Associate, Large-Scale Distributed System Group, Department of Computing, Imperial College London.
- 2006 –2009: Research Associate, Oxford e-Research Centre, University of Oxford.
Sponsored visiting scholarships
- 2016: EPSRC Data Science sponsored Visiting Researcher.
- 2012-2013: World University Network sponsored Visiting Researcher, the State Key Laboratory for Novel Software Technology, Department of Computer Science and Technology, Nanjing University.
- 2010-2013: Visiting Faculty, Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications.
- 2008 –2009: Visiting Researcher - large-scale infrastructure network performance modelling, InfoLab, University of Lancaster.