In the weeks leading up to your arrival at Southampton, and during your first week, there are a number of things you will need to remember. Find out what you will need to do before you arrive.
If your first language is not English, the University can help with both pre-sessional and ongoing language support. Find out more about language support.
If you have a disability or health condition, or need help balancing your work and personal commitments, the University has a variety of enabling, counselling and mentoring services. Find out more about Education Support.
International Welcome Programme
We encourage all new international postgraduates to register for our Welcome Programme, specifically designed for our international students. This takes place in September each year and includes general events to introduce you to the University. There will also be academic induction events within your discipline, and a range of social and cultural activities. Find out more about the International Welcome Programme.
Things to do shortly after you arrive
Arriving in the UK can be confusing and disorienting. Below is a list of some of the things you should do soon after arriving in the UK:
- Register with the Police. Please check your visa carefully, as this may not apply if you are on a short-term visa; ie. 3 months or less
- Register with a local Doctor (GP) for free National Health Service (NHS) treatment
- Open a UK bank account
- Pay your tuition fees
- Enrol on your Programme so that you can gain access to email, library facilities and so on
- Arrange insurance for your possessions and any vehicle that you may own
- Buy a UK SIM card for your mobile phone
- Sign up for and attend the International Welcome Programme as it will help you meet other students and find out about life at the University
- Try to attend at least one social event in the Induction week and Freshers' Week